What to Do When You Lose a Freelance Client-EP014
Laura is back to help you deal with losing a freelance client. On this episode of the podcast, she talks you through the necessary process of self-reflection and offers strategies for replacing lost revenue when a contract ends.
Learn from Laura’s experience as she shares mistakes she made early in her freelancing career. She was able to leverage those missteps into learning opportunities and develop a knack for replacing lost revenue quickly through a savvy hustle that includes capitalizing on established client relationships and expanding service offerings.
Laura also offers advice on how to recover from the loss of a client, emotionally and financially. Listen in and learn her practical three-step approach to rebounding when a client chooses to end a business relationship!
The reasons why a contract might end
- Often, the end of a contract happens due to circumstances outside of your control, i.e.: the client can no longer afford your services or they are hiring a full-time writer in-house
- If it was your fault (i.e.: missed deadline, poor work quality), it’s time to recalibrate
Laura’s advice about learning from your mistakes
- Take ownership and briefly grieve the loss
- Consider what went wrong and how you might apply that insight moving forward
- Revise your pitch and writing samples
The need for clear, specific feedback from clients
- Clients who say your work “just wasn’t what they were looking for” may be trying to get free content
- Consider adding a clause to your contract in which the client acknowledges having read your writing samples and agrees to the expectation that the tone, quality and general writing ability will be similar
Laura’s tips for replacing lost revenue
- Keep a monetary goal in mind as you hustle
- Reach out to clients you’ve worked with before
- Think about expanding service offerings in your current niche and upselling existing clients
- Even when fully booked, continue marketing your business to cultivate future opportunities
Laura’s Full List of Courses https://laurapennington.teachable.com/
Connect with Laura Pennington