Right Brain Business Model: Mella Barnes Talks Music and Entrepreneurship for Creatives- EP005
Mella Barnes is a session singer, songwriter and producer living in Nashville, Tennessee. An animal lover, she has three dogs, a rabbit and any number of foster animals in various shapes and sizes. Mella is the author of Way Less Cowbell, a book on communicating with session musicians. She specializes in helping others complete their musical projects, working with corporate clients, songwriters and individuals with no musical background who want to compose songs for their loved ones as gifts.
On this episode, Mella offers advice for creatives seeking to use their talents in entrepreneurial ventures, discussing marketing strategy, organization and work-life balance.
Mella’s advice for people who are considering starting an online business
- Don’t quit your day job, but lay the groundwork in your spare time
- While many advise that you stick to one marketing platform, Mella argues that a diversified approach makes you “as findable as you can be”
Mella’s tips for staying organized and meeting deadlines
- Record due dates in your planner
- Stay in constant contact with your clients to discuss your progress
As you strive to achieve work-life balance, practice daily self-care
- Mella hikes alone every day
- If you don’t put yourself first, you won’t have any energy reserve to devote to your family or business
Mella’s guidance for creatives who believe they can’t get paid to do what they love
- Make a mental shift by asking, “How can I be of service?”
Mella’s advice for dealing with difficult clients
- Create an avatar of your ideal client to determine who will be a good fit
- Pay attention to how they treat you in your initial correspondence
Music playlists can help you focus and get motivated to work
Start where you are and celebrate progress, even if it’s only 15 minutes
Connect with Mella Barnes
Mella is a session singer, songwriter and producer living in Nashville, Tennessee. Also an animal lover, she has three dogs, a rabbit, and any number of foster animals in various shapes and sizes. She is the author of Way Less Cowbell, a book on communicating with session musicians. If you would like more information or to hire her onto your project, please visit www.mellamusic.com.