Laura returns with another solo podcast to share her business secrets with beginning freelancers. She offers advice in several areas of business basics, including marketing, dealing with difficult clients, developing a support system and establishing your schedule.
Learn from the best as Laura shares her own stories about getting started in the freelance writing business. Find out how she deals with negative comments from friends and colleagues who don’t acknowledge freelancing as a ‘real’ career and the strategies she employs to sever ties with difficult clients.
Laura also explains how conversion rate shifts as you become more established and why setting official business hours is necessary to maintain work-life balance. If you’re just getting started in the freelance writing business, this podcast is a must-listen!
The breakdown of marketing vs. delivering work to clients
- When you’re getting started, it is appropriate to dedicate as much as 80% of your time to writing samples, pitches, etc.
- Eventually, you will hit a sweet spot and commit the majority of your time to ‘billable hours’
The power to say ‘no’
- Release your attachment to difficult clients
- Simply explain that your circumstances/business model have changed and you will no longer accept work after a particular date
Laura’s advice about finding a support system
- Friends and family may not understand what you do
- Find people who do get it (i.e.: Facebook group, business coach, etc.) to keep you inspired
The benefits of establishing official working hours
- You are not beholden to traditional business hours, but it is important to set aside dedicated time to work on your freelance business
- Set aside time to do the things that keep you sane
Connect with Laura Pennington